Thursday, July 3, 2014

Johnsonville

Lately I've been really fascinated with the completely abandoned village Johnsonville in East Haddam, Connecticut.
I've only been there twice and each time I've tried to explore different areas, but with fifty two acres of village I have a feeling it may take me a bit of time.  
The no trespassing and no parking and private property signs every few feet don't help either.  Normally I wouldn't really mind these signs, but I actually know someone who got arrested for trespassing in Johnsonville.  It's not like there's any police around, but there are quite a few witnesses at all times throughout the day.  Mostly cars passing through or slowly making their way past to take a look at the abandoned village, but there are usually always people around.  I mean this entire place is nestled between completely modest American homes and even connects to a main road.
The whole town is in pretty great shape.  I mean obviously the buildings could use some up-keep, but for having no care in over twenty years it's holding up pretty well.  Nothings collapsed so far.
I wanted to post some photos I've taken.  All pictures were taken with just an iphone and I've chosen to not edit any photos from down below.
 It was hard to photograph because of the glare so I don't have a good enough picture to post, but it was quite crazy how some of the building had stuff in them still.  For example the school room had a chalk board left behind with the name "Claire" written on it.
And old signs were in the buildings for when the village was open to the public and held tour at one point.  There were signs for the gift shop and one had some openings and closings.
A lot of the buildings here were built in the eighteen hundreds.


No comments:

Post a Comment