Skip to main content

Recent Reads

"The Rainbow Comes ad Goes" by Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt
I started reading this book while in line to meet Anderson Cooper at a book signing in Madison, Connecticut.  This was truly an excellent and interesting read.  Gloria Vanderbilt had such an insane and thrilling life, and Anderson Cooper was perfect at interviewing his mother.  I definitely recommend this book to anyone, whether a fan of Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt, or just someone interested in pop culture and biographies.  This was a fast read.  
 
"The Starboard Sea" by Amber Dermont
I bought this book because it was on sale and it was inexpensive.  However, I ended up loving it, and I'm so happy it was on sale that day in Barnes and Noble, for if it wasn't, I probably would have never read it or picked it up.  
This book is about the lives of very wealthy teenagers at boarding school, but the main character, Jason, is spilling the secrets on the elite.  It's hard to talk about this book without giving too much away, but I highly recommend.  Definitely one of the best books I've read recently.

"Not That Kind of Girl" by Lena Dunham
I bought this book because I became obsessed with Lena Dunham's show, "Girls" after watching the first two seasons in a week on Amazon Prime.  However, I was a bit disappointed.  I kept thinking this book was going to get funny, but it never really did.  It jumps around a lot and the stories are short and at times a bit meaningless and pointless.  It wasn't terrible, it was interesting at times, but I think I'll stick to Lena Dunham on "Girls" instead of on paper. 
"Heads in Beds" by Jacob Tomsky
I bought and read this book because I worked at a hotel for two years and I thought it'd be a fun read.  I was right.  It was good, but towards the end started to drag.  I wasn't satisfied with the ending, but the beginning, and majority of the middle is great.  This book is filled with helpful tips for staying at hotels, and if like me you've ever worked for a hotel, you can definitely relate.  I recommend this book to my hotel friends, but I'm not sure too many others would understand or find it was fun as I did.

"Half Broke Horses" by Jeanette Walls
I started reading this book because I loved Jeannette Walls' other book, "The Glass Castle".  Walls has an excellent writing style and her books are magical to fall into.  I loved this book, not as much as I loved "The Glass Castle".  If you want to read an excellent book, read "The Glass Castle".  This book is good, and I do recommend it, but it's not her best work.
"Girls of Tender Age" by Mary-Ann Tirone Smith
I wanted to read this book because the author and her story takes place in Connecticut, where I'm from.  Also it's a murder/mystery/thriller, which I'm also into.  I recommend this book.  It's a good story and it's well written. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Bad: Homemade Rock Candy Recipe

Homemade Rock Candy, you will need: 1/2 cup water 3/4 cup light corn syrup 2 cups granulated sugar 2 teaspoons flavoring extract blue gel food coloring candy thermometer Instructions: Line sheet pan with foil, and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray/spray butter. In a saucepan combine the water, corn syrup, and granulated sugar. Place the pan over medium-high heat, and stir until the sugar dissolves.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then stop stirring.  Insert a candy thermometer. Continue to cook the candy without stirring until it reads 285°F on the thermometer. Do not overcook it, or it will start to take on a caramel color. Once at 285°F, take the pan off the heat and let it sit for a few moments, until bubbles stop breaking on the surface. Add the flavoring, I used raspberry extract and food coloring, I used Neon blue by McCormick, and stir everything together. Pour the candy onto the prepared baking sheet; tilt the sheet pan back and fo...

The Yellow Wallpaper

Vinci 1 Victoria Vinci English 102 Professor Jones March 21, 2016 The Yellow Wallpaper             In “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman the narrator claims to have given birth, but isn’t taking care of the baby, because her husband, John, wants her to rest.   John is a “physician of high standing” and he prescribed his wife rest treatment (308).   The treatment takes place in a large summer home, where John’s sister, Jennie, helps take care of the narrator when John isn’t around.   The narrator is confined to a room with bars over the windows, a bolted down bed, and yellow wallpaper that the narrator severely hates.   The narrator fixates on the wallpaper, even believing it gives off a smell.   She claims to see images within it.   The narrator believes to see women, in various situations like being caged and trapped, but claims the women escape during the d...

A Day of Hiking.

Last Sunday Jake and I went to Gillette Castle to go hiking. Gillette Castle was the beautiful home to William Gillette and his wife.   Gillette was an actor and was most famous for playing Sherlock Holmes.  Him and his wife lived in East Haddam, Connecticut and their house is currently a state park open to anyone, with tours of the castle costing just six dollars. Jake and I live so close to here, about twenty minutes away, and I have no idea why we don't come here more often because it's absolutely stunning!  And I swear it gets prettier every time I come. There's all kind of hiking spots on the castle grounds and you can even go down to The Connecticut River. I took this picture of myself when I was trying to check my hair before we went shopping after leaving the castle.  I ended up thinking it was kind of cool and keeping it.   No dumb artificial sun filter needed on a day like today!