Sunday, October 9, 2016

Recent Reads

"The Rainbow Comes ad Goes" by Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt
I started reading this book while in line to meet Anderson Cooper at a book signing.  And since the line was so long I was almost finished by the time I got my copy signed.  This was truly an excellent read.  Gloria Vanderbilt had such an insane and interesting life, and Anderson Cooper was perfect at asking the right questions and when.  I definitely recommend this book to anyone, whether a fan of Anderson Cooper and/or Gloria Vanderbilt, or just someone interested in pop culture or biographies.  This was a fast and fascinating book.
 
"The Starboard Sea" by Amber Dermont
In complete honesty I bought this book because it was on sale and it was so inexpensive.  But I ended up loving it, and I'm so happy it happened to be on sale because if it wasn't, I probably would have never read it. 
This book is about the life of very wealthy teenagers at boarding school, but the main character, Jason, has stories to tell about what happens in the secret life of the elite.  It's hard to talk about this book without going into it and giving too much away, but I highly recommend.  Definitely one of the best books I've read recently.

"Not That Kind of Girl" by Lena Dunham
I bought this book because I became obsessed with Lena Dunham's show, "Girls" after watching the first two seasons in a week on Amazon Prime.  However, I was a bit disappointed.  I kept thinking this book was going to get funny, but it never really did.  It jumps around a lot and a lot of the stories are short and at times a bit meaningless and pointless.  I mean it wasn't terrible, it was interesting at times, but I think I'll stick to Lena Dunham on "Girls" instead of on paper. 
"Heads in Beds" by Jacob Tomsky
I bought and read this book because I worked at a hotel for two years and I thought it'd be a fun read.  I was right.  It was a fun read, but towards the end started to drag.  I wasn't satisfied with the ending, but the beginning, and majority of the middle is great.  This book is filled with helpful tips to staying at hotels, and if like me you've ever worked for a hotel, you can definitely relate.  I recommend this book to my hotel friends, but I'm not sure too many others would understand or find it was fun as I did.

"Half Broke Horses" by Jeanette Walls
I started reading this book because I loved Jeannette Walls' other book, "The Glass Castle".  Walls has an excellent writing style and her books are magical.  I loved this book, but I do admit it's no "The Glass Castle".  If you want to read an excellent book, read "The Glass Castle".  You'll love it so much you'll be so exited to read everything else from Walls.  This book was great and I do recommend it to all, but it's not her best work.
"Girls of Tender Age" by Mary-Ann Tirone Smith
I wanted to read this book because the author and her story takes place in Connecticut, where I'm from.  Also it's a murder/mystery/bit of a thriller, which I'm also into.  I recommend this book.  It's a good story and it's very well written. 

No comments:

Post a Comment