Thursday, February 9, 2017

How I Became a First-time Homeowner at Twenty Two

I never thought much about buying my own house.  It was honestly the last thing on my mind, I always figured I was too young and that is was something I'd do when I was older, like my thirties.  But somewhere down the line, when I found out it was possible, it became all I wanted.  And this is how I did it, how I became a first time homeowner at just twenty two years old.
First off, right out of high school, I went directly to culinary school.  A very expensive culinary school in Connecticut's own capitol city, Hartford.  This was a mistake.  I didn't research my options enough, and even though I've been taking cooking lessons since I was four and even have won some competitions, once I was in school I decided it wasn't for me and I didn't love it. 
So I dropped out after seven months and owed the school twenty thousand dollars.  Yes, TWENTY THOUSAND dollars.  This was a huge set back for me because I was only nineteen and I didn't even have two thousand in my bank account.  I was really stressed out, and my only way out was to make more money so I could pay off my student loan, because I did not want to be in debt so early on and owe so much.  And since my parents have four kids, they weren't going to help me with college and bills I had made for myself.
I already worked part time at a small jewelry store making above minimum wage, but I had to pay for parking while I worked, a dollar an hour.  It was stupid, but I had a car and I needed to pay the parking toll or else I would get  ticket.
So I got a second job working at a hotel, a Crowne Plaza.  I got hired as their hostess making ten dollars an hour, but after three months I was given a raise and promoted twice. I was able to start delivering room services and I was allowed to start serving in the restaurant and in the banquet halls; meaning tips.  And there were so many times I got nice tips working there.  After all it was a business hotel, not a vacation hotspot, where majority of our clientele was business men.  I worked at the hotel for two years, saving as much money as I could.
I used to get my weekly paychecks from the hotel sent directly to my checking account, and I'd put my entire weekly paycheck from the jewelry store in my savings account, and I lived off my tips.  If I had a bad week in tips, I didn't go out or do anything extra.  I spent my tips on gas, parking, entertainment, food, and necessities.  Luckily my tips were so good I didn't have to dip into my checking or savings account. 
The money that went directly into my checking account went to pay off my student loans,  my car insurance, and other bills I had.  However, I was very lucky because I did live with my mom and I didn't have to pay her rent.  I was able to save a lot doing this.  Also my dad paid for my phone bill and I'm still under his health insurance, another huge help so I could continue saving and paying extra on my student loan payment each month, trying to reduce the interest.
I worked nonstop, on average seventy hours a week between both jobs.  And eventually I got a third job.  I got a job serving at a sports bar, because my aunt knew the owners, but I didn't like the atmosphere too much so I only lasted three months.  Than I got a job working seasonally at a local bakery, and after that I started working as a hostess at a wine bar.
And even though I was constantly working around the clock, I even had some side gigs.  For example I sell my old clothes, accessories, and shoes on an app called Poshmark.  I don't make a whole lot doing this, but every little bit of money helps.  I even opened my own Etsy store ranking in some more extra cash.  And I use some apps for gift cards and rewards.  My favorite and one worth mentioning is Receipt Hog
After a two years of working nonstop and around the clock I needed a bit of a break.  I decided to go back to school, part time at a local community college real close by to my mom's house.  I continued to work, but instead of working seventy hours a week I started working forty.  This made me even more frugal with my money and spending habits.
It's important to know that I rarely eat out at restaurants, I mean I went to culinary school so I can get real creative in the kitchen.  However, at the jewelry store my bosses do buy me lunch multiple times a week, they do this for all their employees, and working at the hotel we get free food while we're on the clock.  I also never ever buy drinks, coffee or even juice drinks, and only on occasions alcoholic drinks with my friends.  I drink just water and I always have a water bottle on me.  I don't get my nails done, and I only get my hair cut maybe twice a year.  Anything I can do myself I do.  I try and only shop at consignment and thrift stores when it comes to clothes, and majority of my personal products are all bought from CVS where I use as many ExtraBucks and coupons as possible.  I love coupons!
I go out with my friends, but I've gotten real creative about finding entertainment that isn't expensive.  I absolutely love Groupon, and highly recommend it for finding great deals on just about everything, including restaurants for special occasions. 
I currently go to school full time, I take three classes on campus and have an internship at the State Capitol Building, bringing me to a total of seventeen credits this semester if I pass all my classes.  I since have quit all my jobs listed above and now work at The Sunglass Hut part time, about twenty hours a week. 
Since buying my house I have roommates.  It's a three bedroom so my boyfriend lives with me, one of my brothers, and my friend.  So my entire mortgage at the moment it paid for, and I make a little extra off my roommates to pay for the rest; oil, electricity, garbage pick up, internet, cable, etc.  Also it's really important to have good credit while trying to buy a house!  Yes I had over twenty thousand dollars saved up and incoming money, but if I didn't have good credit I wouldn't have gotten approved for a mortgage, so keep that in mind. 
I hope someone finds this interesting or helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment