Skip to main content

Why I Quit My Second Job, and It Started Saving Me Money

Ever since I can remember I've worked multiple jobs.  It's how I saved to buy my own house, and it's how I've learned to live.  But this year, 2019, I decided to quit my second job and commit to only one.  This is the first time I've only had one job since I was a teenager. 
My main job is at a small bank as a universal banker.  It's not what I want to do forever, but with still taking classes towards finishing my bachelor's degree it's worked into my schedule pretty nicely.  I make a decent hourly wage, about eighteen dollars an hour, and I only work about thirty-eight to forty hours a week.  I have every Wednesday and Sunday off, and I work a half-day on Saturdays.  Overall, it's manageable.  I get great paid time off options and benefits, such as a 401K, tuition reimbursement, a pension, and commission based incentives. 

My second job, the one I recently left, was at Sunglass Hut.  I worked at Sunglass Hut for three years and I don't regret it at all.  In the great scheme of things, it was a halfway decent job.  I worked with a lot of fun and creative people.  I got paid to talk, as employees we got decent discounts on the merchandise, the company gave us a 401k, and honestly, I did like it there.  It just didn't pay very well.  Also, unlike the bank, the hours weren't guaranteed, for the schedule was based off sales and last year's numbers.  If the store isn't making its goal that week, hours get cut and employees get sent home.  This never happens at my bank job.  In three years I only made about twelve dollars an hour, plus commission that we weren't promised, for the entire store had to make its goal in order for each employee to get paid out their commission for that week.  Meaning, I could make my sales goals each day every day, but if other employees didn't, and the store didn't make its goal, I wouldn't see that commission check ever.  It was extremely unfair and frustrating, but it wasn't as if the commissions were anything great anyway.  They were $1 for every $100 we sold in merchandise.  So it barely made a difference whether I received it or not.
I kept working at Sunglass Hut solely for the employee discounts and the good company of my coworkers, but it was starting to take a huge toll on me.  I was working seven days a week, plus taking classes.  I was tired and drained.  My drive to Sunglass Hut was thirty-five minutes one way, over an hour roundtrip.  And if I was in a hurry or unprepared, I would forget my reusable water bottle and/or lunch.  Meaning, I would have to buy water and lunch whenever I worked there, for the store didn't supply anything.  I would keep snacks in my purse, but sometimes that just wasn't enough so working at a mall I would be tempted to get food I typically don't eat on a daily basis.  I didn't do this every time I worked, but every so often I would be tempted to buy food or fun drinks.  For the most part I was on my "A game" when it came to food at lunchtime, prepping quick lunches and never leaving home without my water bottle, but occasionally I found myself making impulse buys working at the mall.  Food was my biggest impulse because a $5 latte at the Lindt Chocolate store didn't seem like a lot, but it added up financially.  Also, I every now and again bought all kinds of clothes from the stores I would pass by getting to work.  The deals would be too good, and seeing things I wanted every week I found myself treating myself more often, especially because I would tell myself, "This is my second job".  I would legit say, "I work two jobs and got to school!  I deserve this".  But I didn't deserve everything I felt I wanted.  
Overall, my second job started costing me more money than anything.  Days when I just wanted a break I had to work.  Days I wanted to catch up on housework or homework or just myself, I had to work.  It started becoming draining, and being too much for me.  So after much consideration, and endless talks with friends and family I decided to quit my second job.
I thought I was going to feel sad about leaving the mall, but I don't.  Sure I miss seeing my friends that I worked with, but I get together with some of them still, and I keep up with them on Instagram.  I have a lot more time for myself and for my fiancé.  Since only keeping one job I feel like I have my life in order in a way I didn't before.  I have a much stricter budget now.  I've found time to work out and plan dinners and lunches better, and I save money in gas for my car.  I'm spending a lot more time with friends, so quitting my second job has been great.  Honestly, I wish I did it sooner. 
I understand that not everyone has these circumstances, and people do need to work multiple jobs to get by.  But sit down and ask yourself, "Is this really worth it"?  Make a list of the money you make each week or each month from your side job, then deduct the gas you spend to get there.  Deduct if you ever buy anything while at work, such as a coffee to get through the day or a sandwich when you're hungry.  Then write how long each week it takes you to get ready for that job and the commute there and back.  Think about things in your life that need to get done, such as housework and everyday health activities.  Could you make a dent in these things with the extra time you spend at your second job, getting there, working, and recuperating from it?  Obviously, if the money is good, stay, but if it's minimum wage, is it worth it?  If it's getting you in the career field you're trying to get into, stay.  If it brings you happiness, stay.  But if your second job is taking away from your life, consider making an exit. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Bad: Homemade Rock Candy Recipe

Homemade Rock Candy, you will need: 1/2 cup water 3/4 cup light corn syrup 2 cups granulated sugar 2 teaspoons flavoring extract blue gel food coloring candy thermometer Instructions: Line sheet pan with foil, and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray/spray butter. In a saucepan combine the water, corn syrup, and granulated sugar. Place the pan over medium-high heat, and stir until the sugar dissolves.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then stop stirring.  Insert a candy thermometer. Continue to cook the candy without stirring until it reads 285°F on the thermometer. Do not overcook it, or it will start to take on a caramel color. Once at 285°F, take the pan off the heat and let it sit for a few moments, until bubbles stop breaking on the surface. Add the flavoring, I used raspberry extract and food coloring, I used Neon blue by McCormick, and stir everything together. Pour the candy onto the prepared baking sheet; tilt the sheet pan back and fo...

The Yellow Wallpaper

Vinci 1 Victoria Vinci English 102 Professor Jones March 21, 2016 The Yellow Wallpaper             In “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman the narrator claims to have given birth, but isn’t taking care of the baby, because her husband, John, wants her to rest.   John is a “physician of high standing” and he prescribed his wife rest treatment (308).   The treatment takes place in a large summer home, where John’s sister, Jennie, helps take care of the narrator when John isn’t around.   The narrator is confined to a room with bars over the windows, a bolted down bed, and yellow wallpaper that the narrator severely hates.   The narrator fixates on the wallpaper, even believing it gives off a smell.   She claims to see images within it.   The narrator believes to see women, in various situations like being caged and trapped, but claims the women escape during the d...

A Day of Hiking.

Last Sunday Jake and I went to Gillette Castle to go hiking. Gillette Castle was the beautiful home to William Gillette and his wife.   Gillette was an actor and was most famous for playing Sherlock Holmes.  Him and his wife lived in East Haddam, Connecticut and their house is currently a state park open to anyone, with tours of the castle costing just six dollars. Jake and I live so close to here, about twenty minutes away, and I have no idea why we don't come here more often because it's absolutely stunning!  And I swear it gets prettier every time I come. There's all kind of hiking spots on the castle grounds and you can even go down to The Connecticut River. I took this picture of myself when I was trying to check my hair before we went shopping after leaving the castle.  I ended up thinking it was kind of cool and keeping it.   No dumb artificial sun filter needed on a day like today!