Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Breaking Bad: Homemade Rock Candy Recipe

Homemade Rock Candy, you will need:
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons flavoring extract
blue gel food coloring
candy thermometer

Instructions:
Line sheet pan with foil, and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray/spray butter.
In a saucepan combine the water, corn syrup, and granulated sugar. Place the pan over medium-high heat, and stir until the sugar dissolves. 
Bring the mixture to a boil, then stop stirring.  Insert a candy thermometer.
Continue to cook the candy without stirring until it reads 285°F on the thermometer. Do not overcook it, or it will start to take on a caramel color.
Once at 285°F, take the pan off the heat and let it sit for a few moments, until bubbles stop breaking on the surface. Add the flavoring, I used raspberry extract and food coloring, I used Neon blue by McCormick, and stir everything together.
Pour the candy onto the prepared baking sheet; tilt the sheet pan back and forth so it becomes an even, thin layer. Let it sit at room temperature.  If candy starts to melt at room temperature, put it in the freezer.  My house was so hot the candy hardened, and then melted once we turned the air conditioning off.
Once it's set, break it into small pieces with a mallet.

For the cupcakes I just made a homemade chocolate batter with a recipe I found online and I used a homemade vanilla frosting, recipe I found online also, and Nutella for the chocolate frosted ones.
These cupcakes were a HUGE hit for The Breaking Bad premiere get-together I attended; all the guys there were super impressed, and everyone loved the idea, and the fact that they were homemade.  
I know the show already aired, but it's the last season so you could always make these for the air of the last episode and have a  party!
Even if you don't make cupcakes to put them on these candies are still cool.  My boyfriend put the candy in bags and gave them out to people, very drug/meth like, and like I said before, everyone loved it.

3 comments:

  1. I plan on making rock candy with my kids one of these days, they love to eat it so I figured it would be fun to make with them.

    Magena22 (Blog Hop 4)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot easier to make then I thought it'd be, I'm sure your kids would love actually making it and to see what goes into it!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing. My kids love making rock candy, never turns out that pretty but yet still yummy.

    megankayden (Blog Hop 4)

    ReplyDelete