Skip to main content

Turkey and Cranberry Meatloaf Recipe

I bought this retro cook book a while ago at a pretty unexpected place, Marshall's!  But it's one of the absolute best things I've ever bought there.  I've made a few recipes from this book, all recipes inspired by the 1950's and 60's, and so far they've all been great.  
I've found that recipes back then were a bit simpler then some more modern day recipes.  Whether it was simpler ingredients or just simple instructions, they appear to be more straight forward.  
Here's one recipe I made the other night for dinner, turkey and cranberry meatloaf.
Ingredients:
10 slices of prosciutto
1 large onion
2 green scallions
2 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 pounded ground turkey
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup stale breadcrumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
1/2 cup homemade cranberry sauce
2 tablespoons orange juice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 F.
Oil 6" by 8" loaf pan.  Line base and sides of pan with prosciutto, slightly overlapping the slices and allowing them to overhang off the sides of the pan.
Combine onions, garlic, turkey, sauces, egg yolk, breadcrumbs, and parsley in large bowl.  
Press into pan.  
Fold prosciutto over turkey mixture until it's covered.
Place pan on oven tray and bake for 45 minutes.  
While meatloaf is cooking combine cranberries, juice, and a bit of water into small pan over low heat on stove.
Remove meatloaf from oven, and drain juices from pan, and carefully invert meatloaf onto wire rack.
Place rack over oven tray, and brush meatloaf with cranberry mixture.  
Return to oven for about 15 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
I saved from cranberry mixture to put on top once the meatloaf was ready.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Bad: Homemade Rock Candy Recipe

Homemade Rock Candy, you will need: 1/2 cup water 3/4 cup light corn syrup 2 cups granulated sugar 2 teaspoons flavoring extract blue gel food coloring candy thermometer Instructions: Line sheet pan with foil, and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray/spray butter. In a saucepan combine the water, corn syrup, and granulated sugar. Place the pan over medium-high heat, and stir until the sugar dissolves.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then stop stirring.  Insert a candy thermometer. Continue to cook the candy without stirring until it reads 285°F on the thermometer. Do not overcook it, or it will start to take on a caramel color. Once at 285°F, take the pan off the heat and let it sit for a few moments, until bubbles stop breaking on the surface. Add the flavoring, I used raspberry extract and food coloring, I used Neon blue by McCormick, and stir everything together. Pour the candy onto the prepared baking sheet; tilt the sheet pan back and fo...

The Yellow Wallpaper

Vinci 1 Victoria Vinci English 102 Professor Jones March 21, 2016 The Yellow Wallpaper             In “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman the narrator claims to have given birth, but isn’t taking care of the baby, because her husband, John, wants her to rest.   John is a “physician of high standing” and he prescribed his wife rest treatment (308).   The treatment takes place in a large summer home, where John’s sister, Jennie, helps take care of the narrator when John isn’t around.   The narrator is confined to a room with bars over the windows, a bolted down bed, and yellow wallpaper that the narrator severely hates.   The narrator fixates on the wallpaper, even believing it gives off a smell.   She claims to see images within it.   The narrator believes to see women, in various situations like being caged and trapped, but claims the women escape during the d...

A Day of Hiking.

Last Sunday Jake and I went to Gillette Castle to go hiking. Gillette Castle was the beautiful home to William Gillette and his wife.   Gillette was an actor and was most famous for playing Sherlock Holmes.  Him and his wife lived in East Haddam, Connecticut and their house is currently a state park open to anyone, with tours of the castle costing just six dollars. Jake and I live so close to here, about twenty minutes away, and I have no idea why we don't come here more often because it's absolutely stunning!  And I swear it gets prettier every time I come. There's all kind of hiking spots on the castle grounds and you can even go down to The Connecticut River. I took this picture of myself when I was trying to check my hair before we went shopping after leaving the castle.  I ended up thinking it was kind of cool and keeping it.   No dumb artificial sun filter needed on a day like today!