Skip to main content

The Visit: Film Review

To kick off the start of October my mom and I decided to go to the local movie theater and see the only horror movie they had playing, The Visit.

I wasn't too sure about it judging by the previews, but I had multiple Facebook friends raving about the movie so I thought it was worth the seven dollar ticket.  Of course when we got there we were the only ones in the theater, so again we didn't have very high hopes, but to my surprise the movie was actually worth it, and dare I say, quite scary.  
The movie was filmed to look like the main character, Becca, a fifteen year old girl, filmed it for a documentary she was making, so the movie might give you a bit of a headache at times, just like in The Blair Witch Project.  
Anyway Becca's mom, Loretta, had a falling out with her parents and hadn't seen or spoken to them in over fifteen years.  Becca and her little brother Tyler, thirteen, had never met their grandparents before. 
 But apparently their grandparents had started counseling people and we're doing very good in life, and were all about forgiveness, so they looked up their daughter Loretta on Facebook and begged her to let them meet their grandchildren.  
Becca and Tyler wanted to meet their grandparents so they took a train down to Pennsylvania to stay with them for a week, by themselves though, because of course their mom wasn't ready to reconcile, and she used this week to go on a vacation with her new boyfriend.
Their grandparents were very nice from the start, but quite odd and had very peculiar moments.  The grandparents, Nana and Pop Pop have erratic behavior and killer mood swings.  
As the week goes on Becca and Tyler discover a horrific secret, the people they've been staying with aren't their grandparents at all.  
Without giving away anymore of the ending I'll leave it at that, and say this movie was not predictable and not just another cliche dumb horror movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking Bad: Homemade Rock Candy Recipe

Homemade Rock Candy, you will need: 1/2 cup water 3/4 cup light corn syrup 2 cups granulated sugar 2 teaspoons flavoring extract blue gel food coloring candy thermometer Instructions: Line sheet pan with foil, and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray/spray butter. In a saucepan combine the water, corn syrup, and granulated sugar. Place the pan over medium-high heat, and stir until the sugar dissolves.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then stop stirring.  Insert a candy thermometer. Continue to cook the candy without stirring until it reads 285°F on the thermometer. Do not overcook it, or it will start to take on a caramel color. Once at 285°F, take the pan off the heat and let it sit for a few moments, until bubbles stop breaking on the surface. Add the flavoring, I used raspberry extract and food coloring, I used Neon blue by McCormick, and stir everything together. Pour the candy onto the prepared baking sheet; tilt the sheet pan back and fo...

The Yellow Wallpaper

Vinci 1 Victoria Vinci English 102 Professor Jones March 21, 2016 The Yellow Wallpaper             In “The Yellow Wallpaper” by Charlotte Perkins Gilman the narrator claims to have given birth, but isn’t taking care of the baby, because her husband, John, wants her to rest.   John is a “physician of high standing” and he prescribed his wife rest treatment (308).   The treatment takes place in a large summer home, where John’s sister, Jennie, helps take care of the narrator when John isn’t around.   The narrator is confined to a room with bars over the windows, a bolted down bed, and yellow wallpaper that the narrator severely hates.   The narrator fixates on the wallpaper, even believing it gives off a smell.   She claims to see images within it.   The narrator believes to see women, in various situations like being caged and trapped, but claims the women escape during the d...

A Day of Hiking.

Last Sunday Jake and I went to Gillette Castle to go hiking. Gillette Castle was the beautiful home to William Gillette and his wife.   Gillette was an actor and was most famous for playing Sherlock Holmes.  Him and his wife lived in East Haddam, Connecticut and their house is currently a state park open to anyone, with tours of the castle costing just six dollars. Jake and I live so close to here, about twenty minutes away, and I have no idea why we don't come here more often because it's absolutely stunning!  And I swear it gets prettier every time I come. There's all kind of hiking spots on the castle grounds and you can even go down to The Connecticut River. I took this picture of myself when I was trying to check my hair before we went shopping after leaving the castle.  I ended up thinking it was kind of cool and keeping it.   No dumb artificial sun filter needed on a day like today!